bottle(redirected from bottled)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
1. informal Alcoholic beverages. I have to drive home, so I'm staying off the bottle tonight.
2. informal Excessive or habitual consumption of alcoholic beverages. I'm afraid that Tom is on the bottle again.
3. slang The buttocks. The term comes from rhyming slang in which "bottle" is short for "bottle and glass," which rhymes with "ass" or "arse." Primarily heard in UK. It's icy out there, so take it slow, or you'll end up on your bottle.
euphemism Alcohol in general, especially in the context of abuse or addiction. I think Jerry might be back on the bottle. His work has gotten really sloppy and he's been very agitated lately. I need to start laying off the bottle and focusing on my studies.
See also: bottle
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
drinking alcohol. His friends thought he was a bit too fond of the bottle. She tried to stay away from the bottle, but she never could manage it for long.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. n. a drunkard. The bar was empty save an old bottle propped against the side of a booth.
2. and the bottle n. liquor. (Always with the in this sense.) Her only true love is the bottle.
3. in. to drink liquor to excess. Let’s go out and bottle into oblivion.
See also: bottle
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
- a fair shake of the sauce bottle
- a fair suck of the sauce bottle
- be full bottle on (something)
- be the chief cook and bottle washer
- bottle (one's) emotions up
- bottle (one's) feelings up
- bottle (something) away
- bottle and glass
- bottle baby
- bottle it
- bottle of Dog
- bottle out
- bottle up
- bottle up (one's) emotions
- bottle up (one's) feelings
- bottle up feelings, to
- brown bottle flu
- capture lightning in a bottle
- catch lightning in a bottle
- chief cook and bottle washer
- chief cook and bottle-washer
- cork high and bottle deep
- crack a bottle
- crack a bottle open
- crack open a bottle
- crack open a/the bottle
- don't put new wine in(to) old bottles
- have (a lot) of bottle
- have a lot of bottle
- have, show, etc. bottle
- head cook and bottle washer
- hit the booze
- hit the bottle
- hit the sauce
- lay off the bottle
- let the genie out of the bottle
- lightning in a bottle
- like old wine in a new bottle
- like old wine in new bottles
- lose (one's) bottle
- new wine in old bottles
- old wine in a new bottle
- old wine in new bottles
- on the bottle
- put the genie back in the bottle
- show (a lot) of bottle
- spin the bottle
- the bottle
- the genie is out of the bottle
- You cannot put new wine in old bottles
- you can't put new wine in(to) an old bottle
- you can't put new wine in(to) old bottles
- your blood's worth bottling