bootleg(redirected from bootlegged)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. verb To produce a fake or unauthorized version or copy of something. I hope you don't still bootleg movies.
2. verb To sell such a fraudulent thing. Is it true that Tom's made a lot of money bootlegging?
3. noun A fake or unauthorized version or copy of something. This must be a bootleg—the quality is terrible.
4. adjective Describing such a fraudulent thing. This must be a bootleg copy—the quality is terrible.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. mod. unauthorized or illegal [copy or something]; illegally obtained. (see also buttlegging.) He crossed the state line to buy cigarettes and then returned by a back road with his bootleg smokes.
2. n. to sell unauthorized or illegal copies; to sell contraband. They arrested the guy for bootlegging current movies on DVDs.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.