booby(redirected from boobies)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. slang noun A female breast. The male fascination with boobs will always be beyond my understanding.
2. noun A stupid, clumsy, or foolish person. Jeremy can act like such a boob sometimes.
3. noun A foolish or clumsy mistake or error. Primarily heard in UK, Australia. Aw, don't worry, you just made a bit of a boob, that's all.
4. verb To make a foolish or clumsy mistake or error. Primarily heard in UK. I'm afraid I boobed pretty spectacularly in class this morning.
A derogatory slang term for a hospital for the mentally ill or unstable. If you keep saying crazy things like that, they're going to throw you in the booby hatch.
An award given to the worst performer in a competition. Roy would get the booby prize for today's race—I didn't know a person could run so slow!
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
a mock prize given to the worst player or performer. Bob should get the booby prize for the worst showing in the race.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. n. a stupid person; a rural oaf. Why did I marry a boob like you?
2. and booby (ˈbubi) n. a breast. (Usually plural. Usually objectionable.) With boobs like that, she can go anywhere she likes.
n. a mental hospital. I was afraid they would send me to the booby hatch.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.