Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
1. adjective slang Excellent; extremely entertaining; of very high quality. (Sometimes used as "the bomb.") That steak I had at dinner was bomb! I'm not usually a fan of action films, but that one was the bomb!
2. verb To fail spectacularly or to a great degree. Despite all the media hype, the major summer blockbuster bombed on its opening weekend.
bomb out (of something)
To fail spectacularly or to a great degree. Despite all the media hype, the major summer blockbuster really bombed out. He graduated at the top of his class, but his brother bombed out of college in just one semester.
bomb through (something)
1. To release bombs that must travel through something else before exploding. Bomb through the leaves to the base down below!
2. To use bombs to gain access to something. They'll bomb through the wall to get in here if they have to.
3. To have rapid success in some area. Can you believe that he's bombed through all those AP courses and he's only a junior?
4. To proceed quickly and forcefully through some thing or area. The boys bombed through the house in pursuit of snacks.
1. n. a bad performance or an inherently bad show. They tried as hard as they could, but the thing was a bomb from Act One on.
2. in. to fail. My first try bombed, but things got better.
3. Go to bomb(shell).
See bomb out