Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
1. To consume one's food or drink very quickly. The kids ran to the table, bolted their lunch, and ran right back outside to play. You're going to make yourself sick bolting your drinks like that.
2. To flee or depart very suddenly and quickly. The dogs bolted as soon as I opened the door to the kennel. I told the suspect to get down on his knees and put his hands in the air, but he bolted into a nearby alleyway.
3. To leave or depart. A: "Won't you stay a little longer?" B: "Nah, I had better bolt. I've got an early morning tomorrow." Come on, let's bolt. This party is dead.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
in. to leave; to go away. (Not necessarily fast.) Time to go, man. Let’s bolt.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
- a bolt from the blue
- bolt bucket
- bolt down
- bolt from the blue
- bolt from the blue, a
- bolt out
- bolt upright
- bucket of bolts
- close the barn door after the horse has bolted
- close the stable door after the horse has bolted
- closing the stable door after the horse has bolted
- get down to the nuts and bolts
- have shot your bolt
- like a bolt from the blue
- like a bolt out of the blue
- lock the barn door after the horse has bolted
- lock the barn/stable door after the horse has bolted/is stolen, to
- lock the stable door after the horse has bolted
- make a bolt for
- make a bolt for (someone or something)
- make a bolt/dash for it/something
- make a dash for (someone or something)
- nuts and bolts
- nuts and bolts, the
- shoot (one's) bolt
- shoot bolt
- shoot one's bolt
- shoot one's bolt, to
- shoot your bolt
- shut the stable door after the horse has bolted
- shut/lock/close the stable door after the horse has bolted
- sit bolt upright
- the nuts and bolts
- the nuts and bolts of something