bogart(redirected from bogarting)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. To monopolize or overuse a shared joint or marijuana cigarette. Hey, quit bogarting the joint, man!
2. By extension, to monopolize or overuse something. Hey, stop bogarting all the popcorn—we're supposed to be sharing!
3. To stall or delay something. I thought my secretary was bogarting so that I wouldn't go into my office—turns out, they were setting up a surprise party for me in there!
4. To model one's behavior after actor Humphrey Bogart, who was known for playing tough, masculine characters. You don't have to be a bogart all the time—it's OK to show some vulnerability.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
bogartand bogard (ˈbogɑrt and ˈbogɑrd)
1. in. to monopolize a communal marijuana cigarette; to hold a communal marijuana cigarette so long—Bogart style—that one drools on it. (From Humphrey Bogart, the screen actor.) Stop bogarding and take a hit!
2. in. to stall. The lawyer for the other side is bogarding, and it will take weeks to get it settled.
3. in. to act in a tough manner like Humphrey Bogart. There’s nothing funnier than a wimp trying to bogard around.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.