Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to blue chip: Blue Chip Companies
1. noun Shares of stock for a large, respectable company (which would be considered a low risk to invest in). You'll make a lot of money from these blue chips, don't worry.
2. adjective Describing such stock shares. The phrase can be hyphenated in this usage. Those blue-chip stocks will make you a lot of money.
3. adjective By extension, describing something that is regarded as very valuable. The phrase can be hyphenated in this usage. This guy's a blue-chip prospect—we have to draft him.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. n. stock shares of a large company that has a high value. (Securities markets.) The blue chips took another nose dive in today’s trading.
2. mod. having to do with the stock of large, valuable companies. (Securities markets.) The blue chip rally ran for a third day.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.