Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. verb To leave, usually hastily. The train is coming soon—time to blow.
2. verb To squander, spoil, or ruin something. I can't believe you didn't go to the job interview. Why would you blow such a big opportunity? Oh man, I definitely blew it with Gabi this time—I said some horrible things to her.
3. verb To spend one's money excessively or irresponsibly. I can't believe I blew so much money at the mall today. At least I get paid next week.
4. verb To react furiously and/or violently, to the point of losing control of one's behavior. Mom totally blew when I told her I had failed math. Don't blow, it's just a tiny scratch on the car.
5. verb To play a musical instrument, typically a wind instrument. I heard Al blows a mean sax.
6. verb, slang To take a drug by snorting it. Those two must have blown in the bathroom because they definitely seem high now.
7. verb, slang To smoke marijuana. Jim reeks of weed, so he must have been blowing earlier.
8. verb, vulgar slang To perform oral sex on a male. Ew, I can't believe he thought you would blow him on your first date!
9. noun A problem, challenge, or setback. After losing the lead in the division, the team suffered another blow when their best player got injured in practice.
10. noun A big, elaborate party, typically marked by the consumption of alcohol. Man, I am so hung-over today—that was quite a blow last night.
11. noun, slang Cocaine. Hey, got any blow? I'm looking for a good time tonight.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
Sl. intoxicated. I guess I'm a little too blown up to drive.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
See blown away
See blown out
See blown up
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
- be blown away
- be blown away by something
- be blown off course
- be blown out of the water
- be blown to smithereens
- blow (one's) chance
- blow (one's) cool
- blow (one's) load
- blow (one's) top
- blow (one's) wad
- blow (someone or something) to bits
- blow (someone or something) to pieces
- blow (something) out of (all) proportion
- blow (something) up out of proportion
- blow (something) wide open
- blow (up)on (someone or something)
- blow a bundle
- blow a hype
- blow a snot rocket
- blow a/the deal
- blow away
- blow beets
- blow chow
- blow cold
- blow down
- blow great guns
- blow grits
- blow it
- blow it all
- blow jive
- blow off (some) steam
- blow off the map
- blow open
- blow out
- blow over
- blow past (someone or something)
- blow sky-high
- blow smoke
- blow that for a lark
- blow the cobwebs away
- blow the doors off (something)
- blow the gaff
- blow the lid off (something)
- blow this/that for a game of soldiers
- blow to smithereens
- blow town
- blow up
- blow up (one's) phone
- blow with the wind
- blow Z's
- blown (all) out of proportion
- blown away
- blown out
- blown up
- have (one's) wig blown off