blow someone/something to kingdom come
blow (someone or something) to kingdom come
1. slang To kill someone with gunfire or an explosion. "Kingdom come," a phrase taken from the Lord's Prayer, refers to heaven or the afterlife. The robber waved his gun and shouted, "Get back, or I'll blow you to kingdom come!"
2. slang To destroy something with an explosion. If we blow these rocks to kingdom come, we should be able to rescue the trapped hikers from the cave.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
blow someone/something to kingdom comeor
blow someone/something from here to kingdom come
If someone blows someone or something to kingdom come or from here to kingdom come, they destroy them completely and often violently. She couldn't shoot freely for fear of blowing herself to kingdom come. She remembered him blowing the cliff to kingdom come without a moment's fear. Note: Verbs such as blast, bomb, and shoot are sometimes used instead of blow. We bombed the country from here to kingdom come.
Collins COBUILD Idioms Dictionary, 3rd ed. © HarperCollins Publishers 2012
- blow (someone or something) to kingdom come
- blow to kingdom come
- blow, send, etc. somebody to kingdom come
- blast (someone or something) to kingdom come
- send (someone or something) to kingdom come
- to kingdom come
- carry a Chinaman on (one's) back
- have a Chinaman at (one's) neck
- a woman's work is never done