1. To bite very hard and purposefully (on something). I nearly lost a tooth biting down on that apple! I knew there was something wrong with the burger the moment I bit down.
2. To clench one's teeth very firmly. I keep trying to give the dog her pills, but she's biting down so hard that I can't get them into her mouth. The field surgeons didn't have any anesthetic, so the poor man had to just bite down while they operated.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
- bite down on (something)
- chomp down on (someone or something)
- snap at
- fine-tooth comb, to go over with a
- chew off
- go over (something) with a fine-tooth comb
- go over with a fine-tooth comb
- go over/through something with a fine-tooth comb
- go through (something) with a fine-tooth comb
- search (something) with a fine-tooth comb