the better of (someone or something)(redirected from better of them)
the better of (someone or something)
Superiority, mastery, or an advantage over someone or something; control over someone or something. I know we could have beaten them in last week's game, but they just got the better of us from the get-go. I knew I shouldn't be meddling in other people's business, but my curiosity got the better of me.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
*better of someoneand *the best of someone
triumph over someone. (*Typically: get ~; have ~.) Bill got the best of John in the boxing match. I tried to get the better of Tom in the golf match, but he won anyway.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
- better of
- be in line with (someone or something)
- be/have done with somebody/something
- (someone or something) promises well
- begin with
- begin with (someone or something)
- at the expense of somebody/something
- be partial to (someone or something)
- be enamored with (someone or something)
- beware of (someone or something)