Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A small car accident in which minimal damage is incurred. Michelle was a new driver so she was extremely upset when she had her first accident. Luckily, it was a fender bender and there was no real damage to either car involved.
1. One who dresses and/or behaves in a manner or style associated with another gender. Tom works as an accountant during the week, but he has a performance routine as a gender bender on the weekend.
2. One who challenges, denies, or explores the borders or limitations of gender identity by various means. Some of the leading academic gender benders are gathering this week for a summit on transgender rights.
3. In electronics, an adapter that has either two male or two female connectors and is used to change the gender of a plug. If that's a male connector, we'll need to get a gender bender to finish this job.
1. slang Any psychotropic drug with potent hallucinogenic effects. My roommate in college was always on some kind of mind-bender or another. I heard someone slipped a mind-bender into his drink a couple hours ago, and he's been freaking out every since.
2. slang A puzzle that is especially challenging to solve, decipher, or understand. The game's puzzles are hardly mind-benders, but they'll get you thinking in creative ways. Her last riddle was a real mind-bender—it took me a few days to figure out!
3. slang Anything that challenges one's preconceived notions or the way one thinks about the world. The film is trying so hard to be a mind-bender with its twists and riddles that it forgets to be a well-made film in the process. Wow, what an interesting read—it was a real mind-bender!
Fig. a minor car accident. A small fender bender tied up traffic on the expressway for hours!
1. n. a drinking binge. (see also twister.) Her benders usually last about ten days.
2. n. a heavy drinker; a drunkard. This bender comes up to me and nearly kills me with his breath, asking for a match.
3. n. a girl who copulates without much fuss. (Her legs bend easily. The same as benda.) Maydene is a bender and everybody knows it!
4. n. a release of intestinal gas when someone bends over. I stooped over and let a bender that rocked the room.
1. n. a minor accident. (see also rear-ender.) There are a couple of fender-benders on the expressway this morning, so be careful.
2. n. a reckless driver (who causes minor accidents). I can’t get insurance on my seventeen-year-old, who is a hopeless fender-bender.
1. n. a device that changes electrical plugs or sockets to the opposite gender—male to female, female to male. You need what’s called a gender-bender to match those plugs.
2. mod. having to do with something that obscures male/female distinctions. Those gender-bender hairstyles can be confusing.
n. a hallucinogenic drug, typically LSD. (Drugs.) That mind-bender takes a long time to wear off. This stuff is a real mind-blower.
A minor collision of automobiles, resulting in minimal damage. Dating from the mid-1900s, the term owes its long life to its rhyme. For example, “I hope my insurance company isn’t going to charge me for that little fender bender; I barely scratched the other car and no one was hurt.”