it behoves (one) to (do something)(redirected from behoves)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus.
it behoves (one) to (do something)
It is proper or necessary for one to do something; it is one's obligation or duty to do something. (The spelling "behoove" is more common in American English.) Primarily heard in UK. It behoves him to give his boss two weeks' notice so that he maintains a good professional relationship with her. It behoves you to call your mother before she hears about your pregnancy from someone else.
See also: to
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
- (one) could use (something)
- a ghost at the feast
- (I) wouldn't (do something) if I were you
- a/the feel of (something)
- all right
- (one) doesn't give a rip (about something)
- (one) doesn't give a hoot (about something)
- a straw will show which way the wind blows
- a crack at (someone or something)
- a peg to hang (something) on