be getting on(redirected from been getting on)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
be getting on
1. To be aging. Now that I'm getting on, I can't stay up late every night like I used to.
2. To be getting late. It's getting on, so we had better make lunch before it turns into dinnertime!
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
be getting ˈon(informal)
1 (of people) be becoming old: I’m getting on a bit now and I can’t walk as well as I used to.
2 (of the time) be becoming late: It’s getting on, so I’d better be off home.
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017
- time is getting on
- How are you getting on?
- dream of a funeral and you hear of a marriage
- dream of a funeral and you hear of a wedding
- like getting blood from a stone
- like getting blood out of/from a stone
- like getting blood out of a stone
- like getting blood out of a turnip
- like getting blood from a turnip
- get your hands dirty