be second only to somebody/something
be second only to (someone or something)
To be regarded as less valuable or important than only one other person or thing. She's a great candidate for the job—her experience is second only to her knowledge of the industry.
See also: second
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
be second only to somebody/somethingbe in a position where only one person or thing is better, more important, etc: As a pianist, he was second only to Rubinstein.
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017
- be second only to (someone or something)
- assume the mantle
- be in (one's) good books
- a prophet is not without honor save in his own country
- prophet is not without honor save in his own country
- a bright spark
- bright spark
- be not so much (something) as (something else)
- be not so much something as something