be greater/more than the sum of its parts
be more/bigger/greater than the sum of its parts
To be something made up of a large collection of things or people in which the total unit is more important, impressive, successful, etc., than its components are individually. America is certainly greater than the sum of its parts. The global social networking site, so intrinsically connected to and supported by users, is certainly more than just the sum of its parts.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
be greater/more than the ˌsum of its ˈpartsbe better or more effective as a group than you would think just by looking at the individual members of the group: After their victory, the captain was full of praise for his team, saying that it was a classic case of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts.
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017
- be more/bigger/greater than the sum of its parts
- (Someone or something) called, they want their (something) back!
- be (one's) man/woman
- be replaced by (someone or something)
- be replaced with (someone or something)
- (one's) moment in the sun
- be in step (with someone or something)
- a swan song
- one rotten apple spoils the (whole) barrel