be at it
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
be at (something)
1. To be located in a particular place. Where are you at? I just looked inside the restaurant, but I didn't see you. I'm at the main entrance—where are you?
2. To occur at a specific time. According to the tickets, the concert is at 8:00, but I'm sure the headliner won't go on that early.
3. To be working on something determinedly or persistently. I've been at this problem for hours and still haven't found a solution.
be at it
1. To partake in an action, activity, or pursuit vigorously, exhaustively, or determinedly. I studied really hard for this test. I was at it all night. I wish those dogs would quit barking—they've been at it since the sun came up!
2. slang To be engaged in sex. I can always hear when the neighbors are at it. It's really embarrassing!
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
be ˈat it(informal)
1 be talking or arguing too much: It’s time you two stopped arguing — you’ve been at it all morning!
2 be having sex with somebody
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017