battle(redirected from battled)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
battle with (someone or something)
1. To engage in an armed conflict or struggle with someone. Our troops prepared to battle with the rebels from the southern isles.
2. To engage in an argument or dispute with someone. I feel like I'm constantly battling with the number-crunchers from accounts to get the budget I need for my team. The president has been battling with Congress over the proposed legislation.
3. To engage in a relentless or merciless competition with someone or something. The two companies have been battling with one another for market dominance for nearly 10 years. She will be battling with the two-time national champion in the gold-medal match tomorrow night.
4. To struggle to make something function correctly. I've been battling with this dishwasher all morning, but it still won't drain! The amount of time each day we spend battling with this printer is downright ridiculous.
See also: battle
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
battle (with someone) (over someone or something)
Fig. to argue or struggle with someone over someone or something. (Not meant to involve physical fighting.) Why do you always have to battle with me over practically nothing? You shouldn't battle over just anything for the sake of argument!
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
- (old) battle-ax(e)
- a battle of nerves
- a battle of wills
- a battle of wits
- a battle royal
- a losing battle
- a pitched battle
- a running battle
- a war of nerves
- an uphill battle
- an uphill struggle/battle/task
- battle against
- battle cry
- Battle Ends And Down Goes Charles' Father
- battle for
- battle of the bulge
- battle of the giants
- battle out
- battle royal
- battle stations
- battle with (someone or something)
- be fighting a losing battle
- be half the battle (won)
- choose (one's) battles (wisely)
- do battle
- do/join battle
- draw (the) battle lines
- enough (something) to sink a (battle)ship
- Father Charles Goes Down And Ends Battle
- fight (one's) own battles
- fight a losing battle
- fight your own battles
- give battle
- half the battle
- in the heat of (something)
- join battle
- join battle (with someone or something)
- lose the battle, but win the war
- losing battle, (to fight) a
- losing battle, a
- old battle-axe
- pick (one's) battle(s)
- pitched battle
- pitched battle, a
- Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain
- running battle
- the battle lines are drawn
- the battle of the sexes
- uphill battle
- wage (something) against (someone or something)
- win the battle, but lose the war