bat away(redirected from batted us away)
1. Literally, to strike a ball away from oneself with a club, bat, or racket. A noun or pronoun can be used between "bat" and "away." I put everything I had into my serves, but my opponent just batted them away as if they were nothing.
2. In baseball, to swing one's bat at will in order to hit the ball. The coach patted the star hitter on the back as she made her way to the plate and told her to bat away.
3. To strike someone or something away from oneself, especially with one's hands. A noun or pronoun can be used between "bat" and "away." I tried to get past the bouncer, but he just batted me away like a fly. It felt like we spent the whole vacation batting away mosquitoes.
4. To avoid, dismiss, or disregard some comment or question. A noun or pronoun can be used between "bat" and "away." I tried to nail down the senator's position on the new tax proposal, but he batted all my questions away. You can't just bat away any bit of criticism leveled at you. You'll never grow as an artist that way!
5. To wink or flutter continuously or at length. Her eyes started batting away as she turned toward the cameras.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.