bargain for (someone or something)(redirected from bargaining for (something))
bargain for (someone or something)
1. To attempt to obtain possession or custody of someone or something after negotiating or conferring (with someone). Do you think we can bargain for that used car? Or will the owner turn us away if we won't meet his asking price? I don't want to bargain for the kids with you. Let's just split custody evenly.
2. To prepare for or expect something. This report has been more than I bargained for—I've been working on it for hours. They bargained for an easy flight but faced a lot of turbulence instead.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
bargain for somethingand bargain on something
to plan for something; to expect something. We knew the project would be difficult, but we didn't bargain for this kind of trouble. I bargained on an easier time of it than this.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. Also, bargain over. Negotiate about something, usually a price. For example, In open-air markets it is standard practice to bargain for the best price. [Late 1300s]
2. Also, bargain on. Expect, be prepared for, as in In planning the picnic, we hadn't bargained for bad weather, or I hadn't bargained on John's coming along. [c. 1800] For a synonym, see count on.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. To negotiate with someone about obtaining something: I had to bargain for the car with the sales person, who finally lowered the price by $250.
2. To expect or be prepared for something: She got more than she had bargained for when the little puppy she bought grew into a very big dog with a large appetite.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.