barf(redirected from barfed)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to barfed: retches
1. verb To vomit. I felt like I was going to barf from seasickness out on that boat.
2. verb To malfunction, usually of a computer. Can you take a look at my computer? It keeps barfing.
3. noun Vomit. Ugh, the sight of barf instantly makes me gag.
4. An expression of frustration, disgust, etc. Did I just get a parking ticket? Ugh, barf. She's dating the obnoxious guy from my econ class? Barf.
A bag readily available for one to vomit into. "Barf" is a slang term for vomit. When I was pregnant and dealing with morning sickness, I had to carry a barf bag around with me everywhere, just in case. Do airlines still supply travelers with barf bags?
Someone or something that is very unpleasant or repulsive. "Barf" is a slang term meaning "vomit." I'm not going to prom with that zit-faced nerd! Barf City! A: "Mom wants us to spend all day cleaning out the garage." B: "Ugh, Barf City."
1. verb To become very emotional or nervous. I nearly barfed out when I heard that I had to perform first in the school talent show. Mom will barf out if you come home after curfew again.
2. verb To annoy or repulse someone. A noun or pronoun can be used between "barf" and "out." I'm not going to prom with that creep! He totally barfs me out!
3. noun Someone or something that is bad or terrible. Sometimes hyphenated. Spending all day cleaning out the garage is a total barf out.
4. An expression of frustration, disgust, etc. Does Mom really want us to spend all day cleaning out the garage? Ugh, barf out! She's dating the obnoxious guy from my econ class? Barf out.
To expel something by vomiting. Oh great, the cat just barfed up a hairball.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
Sl. to become deranged, to a greater or lesser degree. Terry barfed out when he heard about the damage Nick had done to his car. Yuck! I thought I was going to barf out.
barf someone out
Sl. to disgust someone. (Fixed order.) You just barf me out! I barf myself out every time I look in the mirror.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
To eject some contents of the stomach by vomiting: He barfed up his dinner because the food was spoiled. She was so sick she was even barfing soup up.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. in. to empty one’s stomach; to vomit. I think I’m going to barf!
2. n. vomit. Is that barf on your shoe?
3. in. [for a computer] to fail to function. My little computer barfs about once a day. Something is wrong.
4. and barfola (bɑrfˈolə) interj. dammit; Good grief! (Often Barfola!) Barfola! You’re out of your mind! When he said “Barf!” I felt wow, so vintage!
n. a bag available on an airplane for persons who are nauseated. I hope I never even have to see anyone use a barf bag.
n. someone or something disgusting or undesirable. (Barf = vomit.) The guy is so gross! Just plain Barf City!
exclam. This is awful! (California.) Barf out! Get a life!
See also: barf
in. to become very upset; to freak out; to psych out. I nearly barfed out when I heard he was coming.
barf someone out
tv. to totally disgust someone. God! That kind of music just barfs me out! Who can stand all that slow stuff?
n. an unpleasant person or thing. That guy is a real barf-out.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.