bang away(redirected from bangs away)
To clumsily strike the keys of something, such as a computer or piano. How much longer will your little sister bang away on the piano tonight? I'm getting a headache from all that racket. I can hear my grandmother banging away on the computer right now.
1. Strike repeatedly, as in Mary is always banging away on the piano, or The doorbell must be broken; see who is banging away at the door. [First half of 1800s] Also see bang out.
2. Go ahead; begin or continue. This slangy imperative usually calls merely for energetic action, as in You can start without me-bang away. Also see go to (it), def. 3.
1. To hit something repeatedly, especially loudly or forcefully: He kept banging away on the door even though nobody answered.
2. To play a musical instrument with the hands, often loudly and with little skill: I couldn't get any sleep because my neighbor was banging away on the piano all night.
3. To work diligently and often at length at something: She banged away at the project until she finished it.