Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia.
Related to bananas: go bananas
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
derogatory slang An ethnic slur for an American of Southeast Asian parentage or ancestry who adopts the speech, clothing, behavior, beliefs, and values typical of Caucasian Americans. The term refers to the idea that such a person is "yellow" (a common slur for the appearance of Southeast Asians) on the outside but "white" (Caucasian) on the inside. Primarily heard in US. You've turned into such a banana since you moved to Silicon Valley, David. Have you completely forgotten what it means to be Vietnamese? I was born in the US, yet I get called a "banana" for embracing the culture of the only country I know—it's so frustrating.
Awesome! Great! You want me to go to the concert with you? Cool bananas, I'm in!
1. To become irrational or crazy. I'll end up going bananas if I have to work in this cubicle for one more day!
2. To express great excitement about something in an exuberant manner. The kids are going to go bananas when we tell them about the trip.
go bananas over (something)
To express great excitement about something in an exuberant manner. She totally went bananas over that wedding dress, so I think it's the one she's ultimately going to pick.
1. A performer who acts as a support to a lead comedian (the so-called "top banana"), as during a burlesque or vaudeville routine. I generally don't mind playing second banana when I'm with such a legendary comedian, but it would be nice to be the one getting all the laughs once in a while.
2. By extension, someone who occupies a secondary, lesser, or subservient role or position. I've been second banana in this company for too long now. I'm going to start up my own business, and then I'll be the one in charge!
Sl. to go mildly crazy. Sorry, I just went bananas for a minute. I thought he was going to go bananas.
drive someone crazy
Also, drive someone mad or bananas or bonkers or nuts or up the wall ; drive someone to drink. Greatly exasperate someone, annoy to distraction. For example, His habitual lateness drives me crazy, or Apologizing over and over drives me bananas, or These slovenly workmen drive me up the wall, or Your nagging is driving me to drink. All of these hyperbolic expressions describe a person's extreme frustration, supposedly to the point of insanity ( crazy, mad, nuts, bonkers, and bananas all mean "insane"); up the wall alludes to climbing the walls to escape and to drink to imbibing alcohol to induce oblivion.
Act crazy, as in When it comes to animal rights, some people go bananas. According to the lexicographer J. E. Lighter, this expression may allude to the similar go ape, in that apes and other primates are closely associated with eating bananas. [Slang; second half of 1900s]
see under top banana.
second bananamainly AMERICAN, INFORMAL
1. If you call something or someone second banana you mean they are the next most important or popular person or thing after the most important or popular person or thing. While hockey is king in Canada, the sport has to play second banana south of the border to Major League Baseball.
2. A second banana is a performer who performs with someone else who has a bigger part in the performance. Carney returned to radio as second banana on comedy shows. Compare with play second fiddle.
If someone goes bananas, they become very angry, upset or excited. I tried to ask about Jack. She went bananas. She sobbed and howled. The audience went bananas — anything for a bit of excitement.
go bananas over somethingINFORMAL
If you go bananas over something, you become very enthusiastic about it. Everyone went bananas over his new TV show.
go bananas1 become extremely angry or excited. 2 go mad. informal
1 1992 Jim Lehrer A Bus of My Own I predicted John Erlichman would probably go bananas when he testified the next day.
second bananathe second most important person in an organization or activity. informal, chiefly North American
go baˈnanas(slang) become angry, crazy or silly: If I’m late again my Dad’ll go bananas. ♢ The clock’s going bananas (= isn’t working correctly).
n. an American of East Asian descent who acts too much like a Caucasian. (see also apple. Rude and derogatory.) Stop acting like such a banana!
1. mod. crazy. (Often with go, see also go bananas.) You were bananas before I ever showed up on the scene.
2. mod. enthusiastic. The audience was bananas over the new star.
Cool beans!and Cool bananas!
exclam. Wow! Cool beans, man. That’s great! I won again! Cool bananas!
See also: cool
See Cool beans!
See also: cool
in. to go mildly crazy. (see also bananas.) I thought he was going to go bananas.
go ape, to
To act frenzied with delight, fury, or some other strong emotion. Why such behavior should be described as apelike is not known. The slangy term dates from about 1950 and is used in such contexts as “The audience went ape over the new jazz combo,” or “The school board goes ape over the very mention of budget cuts.” A related and possibly derivative cliché is to go bananas, with roughly the same meaning. It dates from the 1960s. The National Public Radio show All Things Considered had it: “When you mention the word ‘nuclear,’ people start to go bananas” (April 13, 1983). See also go ballistic.
See also: go