Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. verb To arrest someone. After trying to bag these guys for months, we were finally able to bring them into the station tonight.
2. verb To get or obtain something. Hey, when you go to that event, be sure to bag some cupcakes for us!
3. verb In medicine, to use a respirator bag to administer oxygen to a patient who cannot breathe on their own. OK, she's not breathing, so get over here and bag her!
4. verb To die. If you don't call 9-1-1 right now, this guy's going to bag!
5. noun Something that one enjoys. I feel so uncomfortable in a club like this—dancing just isn't my bag.
6. noun An unhappy and/or ugly woman. Oh, I don't listen to anything the old bag next door has to say anymore.
7. noun A quantity of drugs. How much does a bag of pot cost these days?
1. Literally, to put or take something in a bag, such as groceries or a meal. I'm completely full but the meal was delicious. Could you bag it for me? I'll take it for lunch tomorrow.
2. To cancel, abandon, or bring something to an end. After 20 years in the insurance business, I've decided to bag it. I'm going to live my dream as a photographer from now on!
3. Go away and leave me alone. You're really annoying me, so bag it!
4. Stop talking; shut up. Bag it—I'm sick of listening to you!
Bag it!and Bag your face!
Sl. Be quiet!; Shut up and go away! Mary: Sally, you look just terrible! What happened? Sally: Bag it! Mary: Sorry I asked! Bill: Did I ever tell you about the time I went to Germany? Sue: Give it a rest, Bill. Bag it! Sue: Can I borrow your car again? Mary: Bag your face, Sue! Sue: Well, I never!
1. Pack things in a bag, as in "Please bag it," the customer said to the checkout clerk. This usage mainly describes packing groceries or other purchases into a bag. [Colloquial; late 1500s]
2. Abandon something or someone, quit. For example, The class is not very good, so I've decided to bag it. This idiom first became widespread among students. [Colloquial; 1960s]
3. Be quiet, stop doing something, go away. For example, I've heard enough about that, so just bag it! [Slang; 1960s]
1. exclam. Drop dead! (see also Bag your face!, Bag that!.) You are not rad, and you are not awesome, so, like, bag it!
2. exclam. Shut up! Bag it! I’m reading.
1. To cease participating in an activity: Finally in disgust I told my debating opponent to bag it.
2. To bring along one's lunch, as in a paper bag: I don't like cafeteria food, so I always bag it.