back on (one's) feet(redirected from back on their feet)
back on (one's) feet
1. Literally, standing again after a fall. I had a hard time getting back on my feet after I slipped on the ice.
2. In good health again after a period of injury or illness. Jill is happy to be back on her feet again after her hospital stay.
3. No longer in a precarious financial situation. Now that I've paid off my credit card debt, I'm finally back on my feet.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
*back on one's feet
1. Lit. standing up again after a fall. (*Typically: be ~; get ~.) She struggled to get back on her feet after she fell.
2. Fig. recovered from an illness and out of one's sickbed. *Typically: be ~; get ~.) I will go back to work as soon as I get back on my feet. I want to get back on my feet as soon aspossible.
3. Fig. recovered from anything, especially financial problems. (*Typically: be ~; get ~.) I can't afford to buy a car until I get a job and get back on my feet. I'll get back on my feet as soon as I start working again.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.