baby(redirected from babying)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
1. A term of endearment for one's lover or romantic partner. Don't be upset with me, baby—I didn't mean what I said! Aww, thanks, baby. This is exactly what I wanted for Valentine's Day!
2. A jocular term of endearment for one's friend. C'mon, baby, help me load these boxes into the truck.
3. A term of address for someone, especially a woman, that one thinks is attractive. Used especially when trying to initiate a sexual or romantic encounter. Hey, baby, can I buy you a drink?
4. A term of endearment for something that one owns and is pleased with or proud of, especially a vehicle, piece of machinery, or electronic device. A: "Wow, nice car!" B: "Thanks! Hop in—I'll show you what this baby can do!" I just bought a brand new sound system. I can't wait to take that baby home and crank some tunes!
5. Some idea, project, or undertaking that one feels directly responsible for and very protective over. (Always comes after a possessive adjective.) This convention has been Sarah's baby for the last eight months, so I'm really glad for her that it all came together so well. Tom's been treating this new redevelopment plan like it's his baby or something, even though we all worked together to come up with it.
6. Someone who is petulantly infantile or immature. Oh, boo-hoo, your sports team lost. So what? God, don't be such a baby! Tom always acts like a big baby whenever the boss doesn't go along with one of his ideas.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. n. a lover; one’s sweetheart. (Also a term of address.) Come over here and kiss me, baby.
2. n. a term of address for a friend or pal of either sex. Come on, baby, push this thing—hard!
3. n. a thing; a gadget; a machine, such as a car. (Similar to sucker.) Hand me that baby with the sharp point, will you?
4. n. a project thought of as an offspring. (Always with a possessor.) Whose baby is the Johnson account?
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
- (as) bald as a baby's backside
- (as) smooth as a baby's bottom
- (as) soft as a baby's backside
- (as) soft as a baby's bottom
- (as) weak as a baby
- (the) baby needs (new) shoes
- a baby boomer
- as easy as taking candy from a baby
- baby bear
- baby blues
- baby boomer
- baby brain
- baby bump
- baby elephant in the room
- baby fat
- baby gangsta
- Baby it's cold outside
- baby killer
- baby needs a new pair of shoes
- baby up
- baby, it's cold outside
- babysit (someone or something)
- babysit with (someone or something)
- bald as a coot
- be (one's) baby
- be left holding the baby
- be like taking candy from a baby
- be somebody's baby
- be someone's baby
- black babies
- bottle baby
- cry like a baby
- don't throw the baby out with the bath
- don't throw the baby out with the bathwater
- floppy baby syndrome
- food baby
- fur baby
- hasta la vista
- jelly babies
- keep the faith
- Keep the faith baby!
- leave (one) holding the baby
- leave holding the bag
- leave somebody holding the baby
- like taking candy from a baby
- look babies in the eyes
- make (the) baby Jesus cry
- make drain babies
- mama's baby, papa's maybe
- room-in (with one's baby)
- sleep like a baby
- sleep like a log
- soft as a baby's bottom
- the baby needs shoes
- throw out the baby with the bath water
- throw out the baby with the bathwater
- throw out the baby with the bathwater, to/don't
- throw the baby out with the bath
- throw the baby out with the bath water
- throw the baby out with the bathwater
- weak as a baby
- wet the baby's head