at (someone's or something's) hand(s)(redirected from at someone's hands)
at (someone's or something's) hand(s)
As a result of the actions of someone or something. At least her first loss came at such a formidable opponent's hands. The activist's death at the military's hand led to protests around the country.
1. Nearby; physically within one's reach. Your mother will need you close at hand to help as she makes Thanksgiving dinner. I always keep a glass of water at hand when I sleep, because I hate waking up thirsty.
2. Currently in need of addressing. I know you all want to chat, but we need to focus on the matter at hand—planning next week's assembly. Stop dabbling in other projects and focus on the task at hand.
3. Impending or imminent. After months of planning, I'm thrilled that the event is finally at hand!
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
close by in time or space. I don't happen to have your application at hand at the moment. With the holiday season at hand, everyone is very excited.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. Also, close or near at hand . Within easy reach, nearby, as in I like to keep my tools close at hand. [1300s]
2. Also, on hand. Nearby in time, soon, as in The day of judgment is at hand, or A change of administration is on hand. Also see on hand.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(close/near) at ˈhandnear in distance or time: Some people think that the end of the world is at hand. ♢ It’s a very convenient place to live. We’ve got everything close at hand — shops, schools, and a library.
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017
1. Close by; near.
2. Soon in time; imminent: Retribution is at hand.
3. Under discussion: Let's keep to the matter at hand.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.