ask (one) out(redirected from asked him out)
ask (one) out
1. To ask someone to go on a date. Bill still hasn't asked me out—maybe he doesn't have romantic feelings for me after all.
2. To invite someone to a social event or special occasion. I'm sorry, we're busy on Friday night—my boss has asked us out to the theater.
3. To invite someone to a distant location. I have asked Hannah out to our new place, but she never wants to drive all the way from the city.
ask someone out (to something)
1. and ask someone out (for something) to invite someone to go out (to something or some place) [on a date]. He asked her out to dinner, but she had other plans. She couldn't go, so he asked out someone else. Liz asked Carl out for dinner.
2. to invite someone for a visit to a place in the country or some other location remote from the center of things. Tom must be tired of the city. Let's ask him out to our place. I don't want to ask out everyone in the whole family again. Oh, let's ask him out anyway.
Invite someone to something, such as dinner, the theater, or a date. For example, We've been asked out to dinner twice this week, or Mary felt shy about asking John out. [Late 1800s]
To invite someone to a social engagement: I am so happy that Pat finally asked me out to a movie.