ask (one) out(redirected from asked her out)
ask (one) out
1. To ask one to go on a date. Bill still hasn't asked me out—maybe he doesn't have romantic feelings for me after all.
2. To invite one to a social event or special occasion. I'm sorry, we're busy on Friday night—my boss has asked us out to the theater.
3. To invite one to a distant location. I have asked Hannah out to our new place, but she never wants to drive all the way from the city.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
ask someone out (to something)
1. and ask someone out (for something) to invite someone to go out (to something or some place) [on a date]. He asked her out to dinner, but she had other plans. She couldn't go, so he asked out someone else. Liz asked Carl out for dinner.
2. to invite someone for a visit to a place in the country or some other location remote from the center of things. Tom must be tired of the city. Let's ask him out to our place. I don't want to ask out everyone in the whole family again. Oh, let's ask him out anyway.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
Invite someone to something, such as dinner, the theater, or a date. For example, We've been asked out to dinner twice this week, or Mary felt shy about asking John out. [Late 1800s]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
To invite someone to a social engagement: I am so happy that Pat finally asked me out to a movie.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.