as much as (one) could do (not) (to do something)(redirected from as much as you could do not)
as much as (one) could do (not) (to do something)
A phrase used when one struggles to do something. It can include "not" when one is trying to avoid doing something. It was as much as I could do to keep from crying when the teacher yelled at me in front of the whole class. It was as much as I could do not to start laughing when my three-year-old told my boss she looked like a "meanie."
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
as much as somebody can/could ˈdo (not) to do somethingused to say that something is/was difficult to do: No dessert for me, thanks. It was as much as I could do to finish the main course.
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017
- (one) could use (something)
- (one) never would have guessed
- (one) doesn't give a rip (about something)
- (one) doesn't give a hoot (about something)
- (one) won't hear of (something)
- (one's) heart is set on (something)
- (one) could stand (something)
- (I) wouldn't (do something) if I were you
- all right
- a crack at (someone or something)