arise(redirected from arising)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus.
1. To stand up from a seated or prone position. My teenage son doesn't arise from his bed until one in the afternoon.
2. To move in an upward direction. My heart started beating faster as the helicopter arose from the ground.
3. To emerge from a bleak situation. Thanks to scholarships, I was able to go to a top college and arise from poverty.
4. To result from something. Many issues arose from the passing of that bill.
arise out of (something)
1. To stand up from something; to get up out of something. My teenage son doesn't arise out of his bed until one in the afternoon.
2. To move in an upward direction. And then the excess gas arises out of this contraption here.
3. To emerge from a bleak situation. Thanks to scholarships, I was able to arise out of poverty and go to a top college.
4. To result from something. Many issues arose out of the passing of that bill.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
arise from somethingand arise out of something
1. Lit. to get up from something. What time did you arise from bed? I arose out of my slumbers at dawn.
2. Lit. [for something] to drift upward from something. The smoke arose from the burning oil wells. The smoke arose out of the exhaust pipe.
3. Fig. to be due to something; to be caused by something. This whole problem arose from your stubbornness. The labor problem arose out of mismanagement.
4. Fig. [for someone] to come from poor or unfortunate circumstances. She arose from poverty to attain great wealth. She arose out of squalor through her own hard work.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. To result, issue, or proceed from something: Many mistakes in mathematics arise from a misunderstanding of the basic concepts.
2. To move upward from something; ascend from something: The hot air balloons slowly arose from the ground.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.