be ahead(redirected from are ahead)
1. To have more points than an opponent, as in a game or contest. We're only ahead by one goal, so I'm really nervous that they'll tie it up.
2. To be physically positioned in front of and/or at a distance from someone or something. They were so far ahead of us that I started walking faster to catch up.
3. To have completed more of something than is presently required. You need to be ahead in your schoolwork when we leave for Disney World next week.
4. To be have progressed further than others in some area. I'm only ahead of my classmates in ballet because I practice all the time.
1. To be in a position in front of something or someone along some path being followed: The tour guide was ahead of us as we walked through the museum.
2. To be more advanced in the pursuit or study of something: I have always liked science and am ahead of my classmates in biology.
3. To have accomplished more of some activity than is immediately necessary: I'm ahead in my work, so I have time to take a short break.
To be winning or in a superior position: The home team was ahead in the second period. Your company is ahead in developing the new technology.