appropriate for(redirected from appropriate)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. adjective Suitable or proper for one, based on certain conditions like one's age or setting. When "appropriate" is used as an adjective, the last syllable is pronounced "it." Turn that violent cartoon off right now—it's not appropriate for a boy your age! This text is not appropriate for high-schoolers.
2. verb To seize for oneself, often illegally or without the owner's permission. In this usage, a noun appears between "appropriate" and "for." When "appropriate" is used as a verb, the last syllable is pronounced "ate." I can't believe you appropriated my video game system for yourself while I was away! I had money in my wallet, but it seems that some other party guests appropriated it for themselves.
3. To designate for a specific purpose. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "appropriate" and "for." When "appropriate" is used as a verb, the last syllable is pronounced "ate." How much money was appropriated for education initiatives this quarter?
appropriate something for something
1. to allot a certain amount of money for a particular purpose. They will appropriate $10,000 for the exhibit at the fair. A large sum was appropriated for the expenses.
2. Euph. to take something [from someone else] and use it as something else or for a purpose different from what was intended. Walter appropriated a truck for an ambulance. It was necessary to appropriate your laptop for connecting to the Internet.