apple(redirected from an apple)
1. obsolete slang A baseball. The first baseman snatched the apple out of the air and tagged his base, then threw it to the second baseman for a double play.
2. slang In hockey, a pass that enables one's teammate to score a goal; an assist. The Red Wings' forward plucked a timely apple in the final seconds of the game to seal a 4–3 victory over the Oilers.
3. offensive slang An ethnic slur for a Native American who adopts the speech, clothing, behavior, beliefs, or values typical of Caucasian Americans. The term refers to the idea that such a person is "red" (a common slur for the appearance of Native Americans) on the outside but "white" (Caucasian) on the inside. The senatorial candidate has been an outspoken advocate for the rights of Native Americans, but some within the community have labeled him an apple for being too entrenched in white politics and business.
1. slang Stairs. From Cockney rhyming slang, in which "apples" is a shortening of "apples and pears," which rhymes with "stairs." Primarily heard in UK. My legs were so tired that I could barely climb the apples up to bed!
2. slang Good; fine. From rhyming slang, in which "apples" is a shortening of "apples and spice," which rhymes with "nice." Primarily heard in UK, Australia. Oh yeah, she's apples here—nothing to worry about!
3. vulgar slang Testicles. She kicked the man right in the apples when he tried to grope her in the bar.
4. vulgar slang Breasts. Her tight-fitting top outlined her lovely apples in a most seductive manner.
See also: apple
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. n. a baseball. Jim slammed the apple over the plate, but the ump called it a ball.
2. n. an American Indian who behaves more like a European than an Indian. (see also banana. Rude and derogatory.) Stop acting like an apple all the time!
3. n. a breast. (Usually plural. Usually objectionable.) Look at the firm little apples on that girl!
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
- (as) easy as apple pie
- (as) sure as God made little green apples
- (one) smart apple
- a bad apple
- a bad apple spoils the (whole) barrel
- a bad/rotten apple
- a rotten apple
- a rotten apple spoils the (whole) barrel
- a rotten apple spoils the (whole) bunch
- a rotten apple spoils the (whole) bushel
- alley apple
- American as apple pie
- an apple a day
- an apple a day (keeps the doctor away)
- an apple a day keeps the doctor away
- apple a day
- apple of
- apple of discord
- apple of eye
- apple of my eye
- apple of one's eye
- apple of one's eye, the
- apple pie order
- apple-pie order
- apples and oranges
- apples and oranges, like comparing
- apples to oranges
- as American as apple pie
- as American as mom and apple pie
- as American as motherhood and apple pie
- be as American as apple pie
- be in apple-pie order
- Big Apple
- compare apples and oranges
- compare apples to oranges
- down with his apple-cart
- get (something) in apple-pie order
- green apple quickstep
- How bout them apples?
- How 'bout them apples?
- how do you like them apples
- how do you like them apples?
- in apple-pie order
- it takes one bad apple to spoil the (whole) barrel
- it takes one bad apple to spoil the (whole) bunch
- it takes one bad apple to spoil the (whole) bushel
- mix apples and oranges
- mom and apple pie
- motherhood and apple pie
- not know shit from apple butter
- one bad apple spoils the (whole) barrel
- one bad apple spoils the (whole) bunch
- one bad apple spoils the (whole) bushel
- one rotten apple spoils the (whole) barrel
- one rotten apple spoils the (whole) bunch
- one rotten apple spoils the (whole) bushel
- one smart apple
- polish the apple
- put (something) in apple-pie order
- road apple
- rotten apple
- rotten apple spoils the barrel
- rotten apple spoils the barrel, a
- second bite of the apple
- she'll be apples
- she's apples
- square apple
- square john
- sure as God made little green apples
- the apple does not fall far from the tree
- the apple doesn't fall/never falls far from the tree
- the apple never falls far from the tree
- the apple of (one's) eye
- the apple of somebody's eye
- the apple of your eye
- the Big Apple
- the green apple quickstep
- trade off the orchard for an apple
- upset (one's) applecart
- upset the apple cart
- upset the applecart
- upset the/somebody's apple cart
- wise apple