be shot(redirected from am shot)
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
1. To be physically, mentally, or emotionally exhausted. After two hours in the gym and another hour swimming, I was shot by the time I got home. I'm already pretty shot from writing essays, and I still have another one to write for tomorrow.
2. To be in a bad condition or totally destroyed. I wish I could have the repairs finished sooner, but I'm afraid your engine's shot. Between dealing with mounting debt, my four children, and my recent divorce, my nerves are pretty shot at the moment.
3. To be filmed. The surprise independent hit was shot on a budget of less than $100,000.
4. Of resources, money, etc., to be wasted, spent, or used up. I can't believe my entire budget for a week in Las Vegas was shot in the first day!
See also: shot
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
be (all) ˈshot (to ˈpieces)(informal) be destroyed or in very bad condition: All my dreams were shot to pieces when I heard the news. ♢ This engine’s totally shot. I’ll have to get a new one.
See also: shot
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017
1. n. a try at something. Go ahead. Give it another shot.
2. mod. exhausted; ruined. Here’s your pen back. It’s shot anyway.
3. n. a rocket launching. The shot was canceled because of the weather.
4. n. a small or quickly drunk drink of liquor, usually whiskey. He stopped at every bar on the strip for a quick shot.
5. n. an injection of drugs. Just one shot of that stuff and you’re hooked for life.
6. mod. alcohol intoxicated. They are a little noisy, I guess, but after all they are shot—you know, plastered.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.