be past(redirected from am past)
1. To be later than a particular time. I can't believe it's already past eight—you need to get ready for bed!
2. To be located physically away from something. Keep going, the building is just past the garden.
3. slang To be past one's youth and thus deemed too old to do certain things. If you ask me, a middle-aged man should not be wearing leather pants. He's past it! That player is definitely past it—he hasn't had a good season in years.
4. To no longer be concerned with or bothered by something. I used to be very nervous about driving, but I'm past it now that I have more experience. I haven't heard from Robert in a week, and I'm past thinking that he'll call.
5. To have overcome a problem or difficulty in a relationship or situation. Yes, we had issues with communication early in our marriage, but we're past that now, thanks to couples counseling.
See also: past
1. To be later than some time: It's already past noon and I still haven't eaten breakfast.
2. To be located at a greater distance than something: The graveyard is past the school.
3. To have overcome some experience or no longer believe it to be important: It used to annoy me when they called me "four-eyes," but I'm past that now.
4. To have given up on something: I believe my cat has run away, and I am past hoping for his return.
5. To be too old or feeble to accomplish something: That football player is clearly past it and should give up the sport.
See also: past