be on automatic pilot(redirected from am on autopilot)
be on automatic pilot
To function or do something automatically, without thinking about one's actions, generally because one has done something many times in the past. Also used in the shortened form, "be on autopilot." By the second week of data entry, I felt like I was on automatic pilot. Making bottles, changing diapers, and putting the baby to sleep were all challenging at first, but now I feel like I'm on automatic pilot when I do it. Sometimes I arrive at work without remembering how I got there, like I was on automatic pilot the whole time.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
be on ˌautomatic ˈpilotdo something without thinking because you have done the same thing many times before: I got up and dressed on automatic pilot.
The automatic pilot is the device in an aircraft that keeps it on a fixed course without the need for a person to control it. It is often shortened to ‘autopilot’: I did the journey on autopilot.
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017
- (one) could use (something)
- (I) wouldn't (do something) if I were you
- a thing of the past
- (one) never would have guessed
- (one) doesn't give a rip (about something)
- all right
- (one) doesn't give a hoot (about something)
- a/the feel of (something)
- (one) won't hear of (something)
- a straw will show which way the wind blows