(a)hold of (someone or something)(redirected from ahold of her)
(a)hold of (someone or something)
1. Literally, a grip on someone or something. The police officer got ahold of the suspect before he could run away. My sister had ahold of me at our mother's funeral to keep herself from breaking down in tears. I had a hard time keeping ahold of Rover's leash once he started barking at the neighbor's cat.
2. Successful contact and communication with someone. I wasn't able to get ahold of my brother over the weekend, I hope he's OK. Has anyone gotten hold of Janet in IT? I still don't know how long this outage is going to last. Good luck getting ahold of Dad, you know his phone is never charged.
3. Total control, influence, or power over someone. Well, once corporations get ahold of a politician, it's easy to predict where that senator's or congressperson's interests will lie. Addiction seems to have completely gotten ahold of John. I have a really hard time finishing and submitting assignments once perfectionism gets ahold of me.
4. Captivation of someone's attention, interest, or imagination. Her latest novel got ahold of me and didn't let go until I'd read it cover to cover. It's an action movie, so it just grabs ahold of you and keeps you riveted for the whole two hours. The idea just grabbed ahold of me, and, the next thing I knew, I'd written the whole story in one go.
See also: of
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
*(a)hold of someone or something
1. Lit. [get/have] a grasp of someone or something. (*Typically: get ~; have ~; take ~.) I got hold of him and dragged him back from the edge just in time. I took ahold of his hand and held on tight.
2. Fig. [get/have] contact with someone or something; [get/have] the location of someone or something. (*Typically: get ~.) I got hold of a replacement part in Peoria. They are shipping it to us today. Try to get ahold of a plumber, would you?
3. Fig. [get/have] contact with someone or a group on the telephone. (*Typically: get ~.) I got hold of her just as she was going out the door. I was able to get ahold of the factory and cancel the order.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.