Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
An affirmative exclamation commonly used by members of the US military. The soldiers all shouted "Hoo-ah!" before dispersing.
A mild exclamation of anger, annoyance, regret, or disgust (about something). Typically preceded by the interjections "ah," "aw," or "oh." Shoot! I thought that would fix the problem with the computer, but I guess something else must be wrong. Ah, shoot—that was supposed to be a surprise for your birthday!
1. A mild exclamation of anger, annoyance, regret, or disgust (about something). Typically preceded by the interjections "ah" or "aw." Shucks! I thought that would fix the problem with the computer, but I guess something else must be wrong. Ah, shucks—that was supposed to be a surprise for your birthday!
2. A mild exclamation of humility or embarrassment, especially when receiving praise or flattery. Typically preceded by the interjections "ah" or "aw." A: "I wanted to give you this gift as thanks for everything you did for me and my family." B: "Aw, shucks. I was only doing my duty, ma'am." I've been thinking long and hard about what I would say if I won this award, but now that I'm here, well, shucks—I'm downright speechless!
3. noun Something of very little value. Used especially in the phrases "not worth shucks" and "not amount to shucks." All their promises won't amount to shucks if they aren't willing to back them up with action. I learned long ago that people like him aren't worth shucks.
See also: shuck
um and ah
To be hesitant or indecisive, especially when speaking out loud about a decision. "Um" and "ah" are common filler words used by habit or when one is deciding what to say. Try not to um and ah so much when you're considering a counter-proposal—it's not professional. It felt like that guy ummed and ahed for five minutes before he gave me his order.
n. an asshole; a really wretched person. (A euphemistic disguise. Also a term of address. Rude and derogatory.) Look here, you goddamn AH! Who the hell do you think you are?
exclam. Yes! Are we ready? Hoo-ah! Hoo-rah, hoo-rah, hoo-rah.
1. and shoot up tv. & in. to inject drugs, especially heroin. (Drugs.) He actually had to leave the meeting to shoot.
2. n. an injection of heroin. (Drugs. Usually shoot-up.) The way Ernie was yawning, I knew he needed a shoot-up.
3. tv. to spike a drink with liquor. I’m gonna shoot the punch with rum.
4. in. to begin to tell [something]. Okay, shoot. I’m all ears.
5. exclam. Darn! (Usually Shoot! An exclamation or a very mild curse. A substitute if not a euphemism for shit.) Oh, shoot! I left my shades in the car.