agree with(redirected from agreeing with)
1. To share the same opinion as another person or group. I agree with the way management is trying to address the problem of employee tardiness. I don't agree with your methods of disciplining your children—I think they're much too harsh.
2. To have no ill effects on someone. (Usually used in the negative in reference to food that has made one ill.) I feel so nauseous right now—I guess that burger I ate for lunch just didn't agree with me.
3. To be in accordance with something else. The scientist's findings agree with the study published by the government's health organization. Can you tally these again? The numbers just don't agree with what's written here.
4. To make one happy; to suit one's personality well. Look at how happy she is! Being on stage certainly agrees with her.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
agree with someone
1. Lit. to hold the same opinion or judgment as someone else. I simply do not agree with you!
2. Fig. [for something] to be acceptable to someone as food. (Usually negative, referring to the disagreeable consequences of eating bad food.) Onions do not agree with me.
agree with something
1. Fig. [for something] to look good or go well with something else. This dress does not agree with these shoes, does it?
2. Fig. [for something] to be in accord with something else. Your analysis agrees with mine.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. To be in accord with someone or something: I agree with Mary that we should sell the car. Since we agree with each other, the matter is settled.
2. To be well suited to someone: The excitement of the big city certainly agrees with you!
3. To approve of something: The protesters don't agree with capital punishment.
4. To be easily digestible. Used in the negative: I didn't eat the crab cakes, since shellfish don't agree with me.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.