against (someone or something)(redirected from against me)
against (someone or something)
1. In opposition to or defiance of someone or something. This plan goes against my principles, so I cannot be a part of it. Are you willing to stand against such a powerful company in the courts? I can't go against my parents—I'll be grounded if I come home after curfew!
2. In competition with someone or something. I'm up against a three-time state champion in the first bracket of the tournament. If that team finishes second in the division, who will they play against in the playoffs? If you have to go against Maria in the spelling bee, I'm sorry but I don't think you'll win.
3. To someone's or something's detriment or disadvantage. I'm shocked that the judge ruled against us. These new tax requirements go against small businesses everywhere! The judge ruled against the father, stating that he had not shown adequate reason to have sole custody of the children.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
*against someone or something
1. in opposition to someone or something; in competition with someone or something. (*Typically: be ~; run ~; stand ~.) I am against everything you stand for. She ran against me in the election.
2. to the disadvantage of someone or something; in opposition to someone or something. (*Typically: be ~; go ~; run ~; turn ~.) When did the trial go against us?
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.