afraid of own shadow
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
afraid of (one's) own shadow
Easily scared; jumpy; timid. Everyone was surprised that Janice led the meeting with confidence, as she normally seems afraid of her own shadow. Please don't take my sister to a haunted house on Halloween—she's afraid of her own shadow. Please try not to make any sudden moves around my cat—the poor thing is afraid of her own shadow.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
afraid of one's own shadow
Fig. easily frightened; always frightened, timid, or suspicious. (An exaggeration.) After Tom was robbed, he was even afraid of his own shadow.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
- afraid of (one's) own shadow
- afraid of one's own shadow
- afraid of your own shadow
- be afraid of (one's) (own) shadow
- be frightened of (one's) (own) shadow
- be frightened/nervous/scared of your own shadow
- be nervous of (one's) (own) shadow
- be scared of (one's) (own) shadow
- scare (one) out of (one's) wits
- scare out of one's wits