afflict (one) with(redirected from afflicted me with)
afflict (one) with
1. To cause one to contract an ailment or disease. A person's name or pronoun can appear before "with." My classroom has been almost empty all week because one kid afflicted the others with chicken pox. When you have a child in preschool, you'll be afflicted with every illness.
2. To cause another person hardship or difficulty. When used in this sense, a noun or pronoun typically does not appear between "afflict" and "with." Once I finally recovered from my illness, I was afflicted with medical bills.
3. To force someone to spend time with an irritating person. A person's name or pronoun typically appears before "with." Please don't afflict me with your obnoxious brother this evening.
afflict someone with someone
to burden someone with an annoying person. I was foolish enough to afflict myself with my young cousin for the weekend.
afflict someone with something
1. Lit. to cause someone to suffer from a disease or disability. The virus has afflicted everyone in the valley.
2. Fig. to burden someone with trouble. We were afflicted with all the worry that comes with raising a teenager.