within rights(redirected from act within rights)
within (one's) rights
Being allowed by the law to do something or behave a certain way. I'm sorry, sir, but he's within his rights to put these signs on his lawn, even if you find them offensive. They were well within their rights to deny entry to the man, who they claimed was intoxicated and unruly.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
*within one's rights
acting legally in one's own interest. (*Typically: be ~; act ~.) I know I am within my rights when I make this request. You are not within your rights!
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
- the rules of the game
- on a pedestal, put
- place (someone or something) (up) on a pedestal
- put (someone or something) (up) on a pedestal
- put someone on a pedestal
- put/set/place somebody on a pedestal
- set (someone or something) (up) on a pedestal
- be given to (something)
- be given to something/to doing something
- do unto others