ace(redirected from acing)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
slang A shortening of "asexual," meaning one who does not feel sexual attraction or desire for others, or who does not feel compelled to engage in sexual activity. That's great that you're so into your boyfriend, but I'm ace, so I just don't feel that kind of attraction for people.
To do exceptionally well in something, especially an exam or other high-pressure situation. I feel like I aced that interview, so I'm pretty sure the job is mine. I managed to ace that test without even studying for it.
See also: ace
Someone who is very good or skilled (at something). Just get Mom to help you. She's an ace at wrapping gifts. Bill's an ace when it comes to math—he'll definitely make a good tutor.
See also: ace
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. mod. [of persons] best; top-rated. She is an ace reporter with the newspaper.
2. n. one dollar. It only costs an ace. Buy two.
3. tv. to pass a test easily, with an A grade. (see also ace out.) I knew I wouldn’t ace it, but I never thought I’d flunk it!
4. n. a nickname for a foolish and ineffectual person. (Sarcastic. Usually a term of address.) Hey, ace, hand me that monkey wrench—if you know what one is.
5. tv. to surpass someone or something; to beat someone or something; to ace someone out. The Japanese firm aced the Americans by getting the device onto the shelves first.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
- (as) black as the ace of spades
- ace (something)
- ace boom-boom
- ace in
- ace in the hole
- ace in(to something)
- ace into something
- ace it
- ace out
- ace someone out
- ace up (one's) sleeve
- an ace
- black as a skillet
- black as night/pitch/the ace of spades
- card up one's sleeve
- come within an ace of
- come within an ace of (something)
- come within an ace of something
- have a trick up (one's) sleeve
- have all the aces
- have an ace in the hole
- have an ace up (one's) sleeve
- have an ace up one’s sleeve
- have an ace up your sleeve
- have an ace/a trick up your sleeve
- have got an ace up (one's) sleeve
- have up sleeve
- have/hold the aces
- hold (all) the aces
- hold all the aces
- play (one's) ace (card)
- play your ace
- the ace in (one's) hand
- the ace in your hand
- within ames ace
- within an ace of
- within an ace of (doing) (something)
- within an ace of doing something
- within an ace of something
- within an ace of something/of doing something
- within an ace of, to be