ace(redirected from aces)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
To do exceptionally well in something, especially an exam or other high-pressure situation. I feel like I aced that interview, so I'm pretty sure the job is mine. I managed to ace that test without even studying for it.
See also: ace
1. mod. [of persons] best; top-rated. She is an ace reporter with the newspaper.
2. n. one dollar. It only costs an ace. Buy two.
3. tv. to pass a test easily, with an A grade. (see also ace out.) I knew I wouldn’t ace it, but I never thought I’d flunk it!
4. n. a nickname for a foolish and ineffectual person. (Sarcastic. Usually a term of address.) Hey, ace, hand me that monkey wrench—if you know what one is.
5. tv. to surpass someone or something; to beat someone or something; to ace someone out. The Japanese firm aced the Americans by getting the device onto the shelves first.
- (as) black as the ace of spades
- ace (something)
- ace boom-boom
- ace boon-coon
- ace in
- ace in the hole
- ace into something
- ace it
- ace out
- ace someone out
- ace up (one's) sleeve
- black as a skillet
- card up one's sleeve
- come within an ace of
- come within an ace of (something)
- come within an ace of something
- have a trick up (one's) sleeve
- have all the aces
- have an ace in the hole
- have an ace up (one's) sleeve
- have an ace up one’s sleeve
- have an ace up your sleeve
- have an ace/a trick up your sleeve
- have up sleeve
- have/hold the aces
- hold (all) the aces
- hold all the aces
- play (one's) ace (card)
- play your ace
- the ace in (one's) hand
- the ace in your hand
- within ames ace
- within an ace of
- within an ace of doing something
- within an ace of something
- within an ace of something/of doing something