worm(redirected from a worm)
A contemptible person. He's such a little worm, agreeing with whatever the boss says if he thinks it will get him ahead. My application got held up by some worm with delusions of grandeur, who insisted on questioning every single detail I submitted.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
worm(one's way) in (to something)
1. Fig. to wiggle into something or some place. (Fig. on the image of a worm working its way into a very small space.) The little cat wormed her way into the box and got stuck. The cat wormed into the opening.
2. . Fig. to manipulate one's way into participation in something. She tried to worm her way into the play, but the director refused. You can't have a part, so don't try to worm in.
worm(one's way) out (of something)
1. Fig. to wiggle out of something or some place. (Fig. on the image of a worm working its way out of a very small space.) Somehow she managed to worm her way out of the handcuffs. Frank wormed out of the opening. He struggled and struggled and wormed out.
2. . Fig. to manipulate oneself out of a job or responsibility. Don't try to worm yourself out of this affair. It is your fault! You can't worm out of this.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
n. a repellent person, usually a male. Gad, you are a worm, Tom.
n. noodles; spaghetti. Let’s have worms tonight.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
- (even) a worm will turn
- a worm will turn
- a worm's eye view
- a worm's-eye view
- burp the worm
- early bird catches the worm
- early bird catches the worm, the
- Even a worm will turn
- glow worm
- have a worm in (one's) tongue
- the early bird catches the worm
- the early bird gets the worm
- the worm (has) turned
- the worm has turned
- the worm turns
- wear on
- worm (one's) way in
- worm (one's) way into (something or some place)
- worm (one's) way out (of something)
- worm (something) out of (one)
- worm burner
- worm food
- worm information
- worm into
- worm into (something or some place)
- worm out of
- worm out of (something or some place)
- worm turned
- worm turns, the
- worm's eye view