scream(redirected from a scream)
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
1. noun, informal An extremely funny or amusing person or thing. My Uncle Fred has always been such a scream. Whenever he comes to visit, we spend the whole time laughing. Everyone said the movie was funny, but I didn't expect it to be such a scream!
2. verb, informal To display or indicate the characteristics of (something) in a very patent, obvious, or unsubtle manner. All his over-the-top romantic gestures just scream "desperate," don't you think? They chose to decorate the new café with all sorts of oddball trinkets that scream "trendy." The jacket just screamed "Aunt Mary" from the moment I laid eyes on it, so I knew I had to get it for you!
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. n. someone or something very funny. (Usually a scream.) The joke Tom told was really a scream.
2. n. ice cream. (Collegiate.) How about a nice big dish of scream?
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
- be dragged kicking and screaming
- be no screaming hell
- drag (someone) kicking and screaming
- drag someone kicking and screaming
- give (one) the screaming abdabs
- give someone the screaming abdabs
- kicking and screaming
- no screaming hell
- piercing scream
- scream (one's) head off
- scream (something) from the housetop(s)
- scream (something) from the rooftops
- scream at
- scream at (someone or something)
- scream bloody murder
- scream bloody/blue murder, to
- scream blue murder
- scream down
- scream for
- scream for (something)
- scream like a banshee
- scream loudest
- scream out
- scream the place down
- scream with
- scream with (something)
- scream, shout, etc. your head off
- screaming drunk
- screaming fantods
- so mad (that) (one) could scream
- so mad I could scream