rap(redirected from a rap)
1. noun, informal The least amount; anything at all. Used in negative constructions. I don't give a rap about your personal problems. I want this project finished on schedule! When it comes to politics, though, I care not a rap.
2. noun, slang A response, reputation, or judgment. Used especially in the phrase "a bad rap." I feel like I got a bad rap after my last project failed to meet sales expectations. The country has finally been getting a good rap as a tourist destination in recent years.
3. noun, slang Blame or punishment. Tom took the rap for the stolen money, but I don't think he actually did it. Sarah was willing to take the rap for the product's failure since she was the creative lead on it.
4. noun, slang A criminal charge. Usually used in combination with a word or phrase specifying the kind of charge. The multi-billion-dollar company was ultimately shut down as a result of the insurance fraud rap. He managed to beat the murder rap due to a lack of hard evidence.
5. noun, slang A talk, chat, or conversation. The principal wants to schedule a rap with the student, his teacher, and his parents.
6. verb, slang To talk (about something), especially freely, intensely, or at length. Sit down, Charlie. I want to rap with you for a bit about what's been going on lately.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. in. to talk or chat about something. Something wrong? Let’s rap about it.
2. n. a conversation; a chat. Let’s have a rap sometime.
3. n. sweet talk; seductive talk; line. Don’t lay that rap on me! You’re not my type.
4. n. a criminal charge; the blame for something. (Underworld.) The cops tried to make the rap stick, but they didn’t have enough evidence.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
- a bad rap
- bad rap
- beat the rap
- bum rap
- don't give/care a rap for
- gangsta rap
- get (one's) knuckles rapped
- get knuckles rapped
- not care a rap (for someone or something)
- not give a damn
- not give a rap (for someone or something)
- not give a rap about (someone or something)
- rap (one) on the knuckles
- rap (one) over the knuckles
- rap (one's) knuckles
- rap across the knuckles
- rap at
- rap at (someone or something)
- rap down
- rap on (something)
- rap on the knuckles
- rap out
- rap over the knuckles
- rap session
- rap sheet
- rap somebody over the knuckles
- rap someone on the knuckles
- rap someone's knuckles
- rap with
- rap with (one)
- take the rap
- take the rap (for someone or something)
- take the rap for something