a purple patch
1. A section of writing that is showy and extravagant and often stands out in contrast to the rest of the writing in a piece. I don't want to see a single purple patch in these research papers, class. Focus on communicating the facts!
2. A period marked by much success or good luck. Primarily heard in UK. After falling behind early, the team hit a purple patch and scored three quick goals to tie the game. We had few lean years, but our business is finally in a purple patch now, thank goodness.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
a purple patchan ornate or elaborate passage in a literary composition.
This term is a translation of Latin purpureus pannus , and comes from the Roman poet Horace's Ars Poetica: ‘Works of serious purpose and grand promises often have a purple patch or two stitched on, to shine far and wide’.
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017
- purple patch
- write against
- write against (someone or something)
- know (something) like the back of (one's) hand
- know something like the back of your hand
- mention (someone or something) in (something)
- mention in
- write down as
- write (someone or something) down as (something)
- know (something) backwards and forwards